View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
whiteturtle

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
One thing I did in my drinking days was crticise those who didn't drink like I did as boring. I could not understand how they could drink so little. What was the point?
This really resonates with me. I would get almost annoyed or upset if no one else was drinking like I was at a get together, and be somehow bothered if they were perfectly happy stopping after two drinks. My alcoholic mind, as Gottalife put it, just didn't see the point in one or two drinks, and I am sure part of me wanted them to be "on my level" so I wasn't alone or feeling like an idiot for being super intoxicated while no one else was close.

I think reminding yourself of that is important to not feeling like you're missing out. Sure, you don't experience a "buzz" like they may get, but they are likely going to stop there, or at least not end up in detrimental blackout territory. You are more on their level as your sober self than your drunk self, who would have gone way overboard than what your friends are doing. Just have a pop in your hand during drinking games and sip that.

I am only on Day 2, but in my longest run of sobriety (a month), it was almost gratifying and enlightening to watch others continue to drink over the course of a night and know that I am not acting like them, and I am going to feel better tomorrow, and I am going to remember all the fun of the night.

Honestly, when the next day comes, or after months have passed, no one is going to look back on that night and say, "Oh, (name) didn't drink that night." They won't even recall that, they will just remember that you were also there as a part of the fun time that was had!