View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I think one of the things I've found most beneficial about recovery is acceptance. And often this means accepting that other people DO behave in ways that may be unfair or unkind at times. Once we accept this as a matter of fact, rather than something to get hurt or resentful over, then we can learn to work past it.

Have you discussed this with your sponsor? If not, I would suggest that you do so. Depending on where you are in your step work, it would be helpful to include it in an inventory to explore your part in it - ie why it affects you as it does.

In the meantime, perhaps the Do It Anyway prayer could be helpful, alongside the serenity prayer? It always helps me when I lose sight of the bigger picture and what is really important.

God, help me to accept that people may be unreasonable and self-centred. Let me forgive them anyway.
Help me to accept that if I’m kind, people may accuse me of ulterior motives. Let me be kind anyway.
Help me to accept that if I find happiness, people may be jealous. Let me be happy anyway.
Help me to accept that the good I do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Let me do good anyway.
Help me to accept that I may give the world my best, and it may never be good enough. Let me give my best anyway.
God, help me to remember that it is between you and me. It was never between me and them anyway.