View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
gonzo51511

Originally Posted by thisisit2016 View Post
HI...

I've come here because I could really use some advice and perspective. I am 40 years old. I am dealing with a love addicted/verbally abusive/controlling relationship ....that has also stimulated my drinking. I drink at least a bottle of wine a day at this point. I used to work all day and come home and have about 2 glasses of wine a day.

Now, I am drinking around 2 at lunch....then another glass or 2 with dinner -- and then possibly 2 more before bed.

So, Here's what I'm trying to figure out. Am I an alcoholic? I have not been able to go without a drink 100 percent for along time. However, there are days I can get myself to just have 2 glasses. Unfortunately, lately, they are few and far between.

My husband says that I have a problem. He's a doctor -- and he's right. I have an issue that I want to drink when we fight -- to calm myself down. HE is just verbally abusive and doesn't need a substance to cope. He quietly insults me -- and then I blow up.

Anyway, I know this sounds like a disaster. I guess I need to know if I need rehab. What advice would you give me?
Hi, as far as if you are alcoholic that depends.. the fact that you are wondering is an indicator to a possibility. . Normal drinkers do not wonder if they are alcoholic. They are typically open about the amount the drink. As far as alcoholism there is a question you can ask.. when you drink do u find it difficult to stop? And when you stop do u find it difficult to stay stopped? Those may seem broad but its really that simple. I always knew i was alcoholic but had a hard time accepting and even harder time asking for help.. good luck, the answers are within you