View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Statistics, statistics

HI everyone! Hope you all are well and enjoying spring wherever you are. It actually is sprinkling here in Phoenix this AM, go figure!

I just wanted to vent a bit about people minding their own business and people throwing statistics at others. This has NOTHING to do with anyone here, btw.

I will be moving in with my bf soon. Kids are excited. Summer travel between all of us will give us all some breathing room and let us get used to sharing the same space in the more relaxed months of summer before school starts in August and everyone gets back in the grind and back to a normal schedule.

My sister and many of my Christian friends have been very AGAINST this move I'm making and they have been quite judgmental. Apparently, these are the things stacked against us:
1. We'll be cohabitating and will NOT be married
2. We will be blending families
3. Living together outside of marriage spells disaster and is more likely doomed to fail
4. Blending families, especially without the bond of marriage, is also more likely doomed to fail.

UGH!!! I get it. But, since over 50% of first marriages end up in divorce and then another 30% aren't happy unions, either, then why get married for a first marriage either? Is it because everyone thinks they'll beat the odds even though odds are stacked against most long term relationships in general?
I am so tired of shutting my mouth and just saying, "yep, you may be right," and then walking away....especially when it comes from my sister who happens to be on her own second marriage and who lived with her guy BEFORE they got married but she swears they didn't have sex ......so that makes you better than me??? UGH, again.

I have never felt so judged in my life and I have been doing my best to keep my personal life quiet but an old friend of mine wanted to verify my address and I had to give her the new one and she was confused so I told her and she got on her Christian high horse and I felt judged and condemned all over again.

It's just so hard to defend my position and I do my best to not get dragged into defending it honestly. Most people don't understand when I say I don't want to get married again. That I am happy with how things are. I've even heard the old, "He's getting the milk for free" comment. For pete's sake....well, if he's getting the milk for free, then I'm getting the bacon for free....or whatever the other side of that argument is, lol. It's a two way street and we're both very aware of the challenges that will be ahead of us. Sigh.....I really hate being judged for just living my life as I see fit especially when it's coming from family.