View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Mine was December 4, 2014. Just another typical night out drinking. 4 glasses of wine - not even more than usual for a Thursday night. I wasn't trashed, but I was definitely buzzed. It was only a short drive home, and I had driven way drunker than that, many, many times. What could go wrong? Well, I decided texting while driving was okay, too. Got distracted enough that I slammed into a parked car, about a block from my house. The people who owned the car came out of their house and called 911. I was crying - they were very nice to me. I remember saying "but I've been drinking and I'm going to jail." Cops came, arrested me. It was my third DUI. The one before that, in 2012, I hit a traffic signal and knocked it over. I was pretty wasted that time. Did I learn from it? For a while. Anyway, when I got the third, that night sitting in the police station figuring out who I could call to come pick me up, I decided to never drink again. Yes - I had said that before, many times, when suffering hangovers, or after falling and giving myself a skull fracture, or just generally making an ass of myself. But this time, it felt completely different. I knew I was on the verge of losing everything - killing myself or someone else if I continued to drink. I had been getting more and more depressed - suicidal at times. Panic attacks were frequent. I hated myself pretty much every minute of every day. I knew without a doubt that I must quit. I called a friend who had gotten sober a few months before night when I got home and asked for help. Decided to go to treatment and AA. Best thing I have ever done for myself, even though it was terrifying at first. If thoughts of drinking pop up, all I have to do is remember that night, and many that came before it, and all urges melt away.