Thread: Ugh why?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
gleefan

Hi Sleepie,

I'm sorry you're feeling lousy. I have a lifelong anxiety disorder that predated any alcohol use, and I understand how difficult it can be.

I was not someone who felt energetic and optimistic in early recovery. Life felt dull and beige. I had little to no motivation to do anything outside of the bare minimum of responsibilities. It took me quite some time to feel well.

What helped me? Willingness to do whatever means necessary to stay sober. Faith to believe other sober people who said that it will get better with time. Openness to try things outside of my comfort zone that other people said worked for them. You've had lots of good suggestions on this thread.

It took me many tries to get sober. I'm so proud of you for 5 months. My most important accomplishment every day is staying sober. Sobriety doesn't solve all my problems, but it makes it easier to find solutions.

Personally, I'm a proponent of AA. It's worked for many people over the years; in spite of my initial skepticism, it works for me too.

Hang in there. We are rooting for you.