View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello there ajarlson,

Originally Posted by ajarlson View Post
....Not sure this belongs here but. ....
You belong here just fine, no worries at all, you are welcom in our quiet little corner of recovery.

Oh, and by the way, it is _very_ quiet around here. The "regulars" check in about once a week so if you don't get any replies it's because peeps are busy out in the real world building a new life for themselves. They'll come by eventually.

....my mom is an alcoholic. My dad was not present in my life, and my mom didn't raise me. ....
My parents were the other way around. My father was the drinker and my mother had not interest in children.

....I married a cheating alcoholic and . ....
If you browse around this forum you'll see that a lot of us do that. I, too, felt most comfortable with dysfunctional people. "Normal" people were so _different_ from anything I had ever experienced that they look weird to me, if that makes any sense.

.... He was the first one I broke free of, then it was my (ex) husband, then my alcoholic mom....
Good on you. Sounds like you've done a huge amount of work in your recovery.

.... Mad at myself mostly but my (wonderful) fiance says it's pretty normal for victims of abuse to blame themselves.....
Yeah, I did that for a long time.

....Which made me realize I should be mad at the abuser ....
I think you are more than justified in being mad at _all_ those abusers. They took advantage of a child, of a person who was unable to protect themselves.

Did you say a "fiance"? Way cool and congratulations

Mike