View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
miamifella

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Yeah I see what your saying For me tho my amt of desire to quit had to be more then my amt of desire to drink. and even then!!

I guess yoru thinking like they should explain more about how the cravings can pass and try to find a way to take your mind off of the urge to drink etc..?

I know life can be hard sometimes IE life throws a tough one at you and they might say drinking isnt the answer. And they are right but in that moment tho when you feel at your worst I'm not sure how you say no to drinking myself. I have almost 5 years sober and thankfully have yet to have to face a situation that bad yet. But it is one that worries me. IE how will i get through it sober if this happens ro that happens I dunno. Someone once told me I'd just rise above it. Maybe so I dunno.
Yes, I think that in trying to "live in the solution" and honor the first step, that AA et al pass over simple things like telling people that cravings pass, that talking to friends, preparing a good meal, rewarding oneself for withstanding a craving, etc can help someone make it through.

A few weeks ago I went to a round-robin meeting where the question was posed, what would you do if an alcoholic said that they felt an urge to drink. Everyone (but me) followed the AA line and said that there was nothing they could do to help someone who felt an urge to drink. Some said they would pray. Others said they would check in a few days later.

It upset me to hear that, because many non-addict friends helped me through urges. Shouldn't an addict/alcoholic who knows what it is like, be able to do more? It seemed to me that even just offering a suggestion (other than prayer) could be a lifeline.

We say that we are in this together. Metaphorically that may be true, but what if it was literally true? I do not think early recovery has to be as lonely as we make it.