View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I'm glad you're happy. Do you think it's coming from the situation of things coming together, or vice versa? (Genuine question! Happiness in future sobriety is a topic of interest).
I think it comes from 'freedom of mind.' I dunno where I got that phrase from, but it comes to mind.

I realize I'm not where I want to be in some ways, and that's ok, because I know the steps to take (mostly) to get there. And, somehow, it's the pursuing of the goals that is fulfilling me. I think, in sobriety, I'm discovering that we are all going somewhere. Very few of us are totally 'there' or else we'd be bored. I know that once I achieve something I immediately shift toward the next goal. So, it's in the striving, maybe? Or the having something to look forward to. Yeah, I think it's more the latter.

Also, with age and experience (and sobriety) comes patience and the ability to be ok with a little discomfort. I don't need to instantly gratify myself anymore. And that's freedom.

Confidence comes with each realized goal. I might not check off every single goal on my life's list, but I know I still have a shot.