View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

How we stay sober

I ponder sobriety thoughts sitting on my porch drinking coffee making sure my Spinger Spaniel doesn't get into trouble while he keeps my cul-de-sac safe from baby bunnies and squirrels.

I am of the belief that there are two main phases of sobriety. Getting sober and staying sober. I got sober multiple times only to return to alcoholic drinking as soon as my resolve evaporated.

It will be 7 years in July and I doubt I will ever drink again because I never want to return to the hell my life had become but I am certain that I am capable of drinking again if don't actively maintain a program of recovery.

I'm not saying my way is the right way or the only way but I am saying this is why I remain sober.

Everyday is the same. I wake and do 4 things. I ask God for a day of sobriety and direction. I read AA daily reflections, I read a couple of pre-selected bible readings, I pray the 3rd step prayer, I check in on SR and will comment if I think I can be of help.

I have a large social net of sober friends on Facebook and I see what they are up to. I pay special attention to a few that are going through some major life challenges.

I go to 3 AA meetings a week. I always come early and stay late. I renue old friendships, make new ones, and maintain existing ones. These people are my friends and I love them.

Everyday I try to grow, I help where I can, I'm as honest as I can be and i have a whole set of social and non social activities.

I understand a lot of the world drinks but I avoid drinking situations but I will do fun things with people who have a beer or a glass of wine.

When I go to bed I thank God for a day of sobriety.

These activities have become my life and they are why I am sober.

Sobriety is not magic. Just curious what actions do others take on a repeating basis?