View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
kzaug2014

Awesome job on 3 days SSG! Glad to have you w/us!

Well done on 3wks free of tobacco Steely! $20 for ONE pack of cigs? Holy crap! And I thought $6/$7 was bad lol. But 20 bucks is insane! I've been rolling my own for about 18/19yrs now, so a carton only comes to roughly $18. And before that, I used to drive to Indiana once/mo to buy our cartons. I used to smoke Basics and a carton only cost $11, plus it was buy 2 cartons, get 1 free....so $22 for 3 cartons lol. I'm 1/2 Dutch, so I'm cheap lol! The only new items I buy are toiletries, food dog food...& I've even bought those things at auction too lol.

You name it, I've probably bought in an auction, at a thrift store, flea market or garage/estate sale....cars, furniture, clothing, tv's, ect. I also sell in auctions. I sold on EBay for 8yrs, have had 2 live auctions and now sell at a local online auction where they charge a certain percentage + $2, but I don't need to pack and ship things anymore, which is really cool.
About 15yrs ago, I bought a 1948 Superman box w/great graphics, but had 2 holes and someone wrote "Christmas lights" w/crayon on the top of it. I paid $10 for it and my hubs asked me "why did you buy that piece of crap?" I replied "because I'm going to make a load of money auctioning off lol!"
The contents, written on the side of the box, stated that there were 1 dozen toy utility belts in it originally. It was a wholesale box, meaning it was extremely rare because in 1948, I'm nearly certain that most store owners threw these wholesale boxes away, plus people just didn't collect the way they do now. My hubs still thought it was worthless lol.

So, I threw it on EBay w/a $10 starting bid. It was bid up to $60 w/in a day, then someone emailed me and asked me to end the auction and sell the box to him for $1500. Boy, was I tempted to sell it to him, but I had other people bidding on it already, so I had to tell him no. That box stayed at $60 all week long, but finally jumped up to $300 on the final day. And it remained at $300 until the last 30 seconds of the auction. Then, a bidding war started, until it reached $1150 & I was very relieved to fetch over a grand for it lol.

I also found an 1870's solid gold Elgin pocket watch valued at $350 for $5 at Goodwill one time.

See how far I can take a carton of cigarette story? Lol!

Astro, I thought both Jungle Book and Superman vs Spiderman were very good!

Great to see ya posting Winslow! I hope you're doing well hun.

(( Hugs )) & much love, peeps!