View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
one of the resons i drank was to slow and quiet my brain.i had the problem before i ever started drinking- when i was a kid mom took me to afew different docs to find out the problem.luckily she wouldnt allow meds for me back then. i can only imagine what that would have caused.
when i got sober and after the misery and fog lifted, sheeeweee was it crazy! i had people that started getting to know me say,"youre not even here right now." it showed my mind was racing.
didnt matter what i did, unless i was completely physically exhausted(and it still could happen then, only slower) i couldnt stop the racing thoughts.
close to a year in i talked to a friend about it. he asked a great question:
"have ya ever talked to your doctor about this?"
HUH!!
now, this was for me and me alone, but a visit to my doctor and talking about it revealed that them racing thoughts and inability to concentrate and quite a few other things i experienced were symptoms of depression.
he prescribed an antidepressant, which i was leary of at first and for the first 2 weeks it felt reeeeeaallly weird- my brain slowed down, i could read andremember what i was reading- i could concentrate better. and i didnt feel stoned.
it didnt seem normal. talked to my friend about it and he said,"welcome to normalcy. youre supposed to be able to concentrate and focus."

idk how long youve been sober, but id suggest talking to your doctor about this.
Thanks for sharing your experience, TomSteve. I've been on a low dose anti depressant/anti anxiety for a number of years. I'm going through a difficult family situation currently so maybe it's just temporary? I am going to talk with my doctor, though. I have an appointment scheduled. Maybe I'll need to increase meds for a short time.

I thought maybe it was just what happens in sobriety, that I'm doing something wrong. If we all drank or whatever to stop the freight train of the mind, what does everyone do once sober....

I've been sober for a few years but just finished my step work recently.