Old 04-30-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nomis
Recognizes the Beast

Just to bump this post, here's an article on NPR:

Commentary: The Sad Tale Of NFL Player Johnny Manziel : NPR

I particularly liked this quote:

In my line of work, I see a lot of bad people, but I've learned not to give up on them. I've seen addicts go clean. I've seen the violent turn peaceful. And I've seen the lecherous become pure. Redemption is a reality. And so there are many ways to read the story of Johnny Football, but this is the most important way. This is no longer a sports story. This is a human story. And in sports, as in life, redemption is a powerful and always possible miracle. It'll make a better story, and it'll make us better, too.
I think this summarizes how I feel about Manziel. The guy demonstrates poor behaviour, that has unfortunately, perhaps tipped into the criminal. He doesn't have a professional work ethic, makes bad decisions, is unreliable, immature and certainly self-entitled.

Too often I think we see those behaviours and mistake them for the cause of addiction, instead of the symptoms. Last year he did briefly get into treatment, and all of those above listed behaviours quickly dissipated. I haven't given up on Manziel as human being either and think that, if and when he does get healthy he'll have a powerful story to tell.