View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
advbike

I'm all for AA and attend meetings myself a couple of times a week. Love the fellowship. I also am working the steps. However many of those in AA get overly zealous in my opinion. I recently fired my sponsor after he became excessively demanding in terms of what he was asking for on my part, at a time when I was not able to comply (I'm traveling). On top of demanding that I attend more meetings and email him daily, he became very preachy and told me my sobriety was at risk. After two and a half years I think not, lol. I thanked him for his support and told him I would find another sponsor locally.

I would recommend backing off and finding some balance. Don't get caught up in all of it. I have found the whole concept of "being granted a daily reprieve" creates dependence, not freedom from our addiction. My first clue with this guy should have been when he told me I shouldn't read non-AA self-help literature in early recovery. What nonsense. I did anyway of course and have found authors like Tolle and DeMello very helpful in understanding my active ego. Use what you can and discard the rest.