View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Introspectator
Introspectator

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I wonder about two sponsors. Does that mean you are working two parallel sets of steps? Two sponsor would be confusing IME, as no two alcoholics have exactly the same approach or story. The crosstalk meeting is a new concept to me. Does it mean someone shares a problem and then everyone gives their opinion? That would be confusing. Then add a therapist and you could be getting 20 different opinions everyday on how you should live your life. My approach was to have one sponsor, work the steps at a good pace so I could get conscious contact with my higher power, then the only opinion I was interested in was that of my higher power, which once in a while, I would run past my sponsor, just to check my motives. I don't see anything wrong with tackling your recovery with enthusiasm in AA. The Big Book talks about this effect in "The Family Afterwards" and " Working with Others" It takes a while to find our balance, and it is likely the wife will become an AA widow for a time. But it will be worth it in the long run, provided your sobriety is steps based and not tied to meeting attendance. Sobriety has to be your number one priority. Without it there is nothing.
The 2 sponsor thing...idk, I feel like it's too much also. I have my main sponsor and we are working this together. I don't feel like I need another "sponsor" or extra phone call to make, especially with my busy schedule. It's hard enough right now having to call my sponsor at the most convenient time for him, which is not such a convenient time for me, but that is a minor concern. Cross talk...look up AA Dignitaries. It's pretty intense, no paper signers at these meetings. Men only, and basically, someone can interrupt at anytime if they have a question, or if they have a concern/problem with what is being said. That in itself doesn't really bother me, it seems a little much at times, but the intention is to keep each other focused and on track. Idk... In my opinion there is the other end of the spectrum. Meaning, people show up, don't share much, don't have a sponsor etc. maybe that level, so to speak, works for them in keeping them sober. I think I do need to seek a balance right now that keeps me safe, but not obsessed every minute of the day. For the first 3&1/2 months I was sober I didn't go to AA. During this time I didn't even think about drinking, relapsing, etc. Since starting AA I think about this stuff ALL THE TIME. I don't want my mind consumed with this all friggin day. So, here is my plan: 1 sponsor, 1 therapist, chew up the meat, spit out the bones...