Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I made the first day of lent my sobriety date in 2014. The landlord of my local pub was also stopping drinking alcohol for lent so I knew no one there would give me grief or he'd be shooting them a look and a sharp comment. I said I was just stopping for lent, but had already decided I wanted it to be for ever. It gave me some time to get a little stronger in my sobriety before everyone started trying to sabotage it or talk me out of it (which my old drinking buddies DID try to do once Lent was over). I later realised my biggest mistake was to think that I could still spend my time hanging around bars and drunk friends and be happy sober. Shame it took so long for me to realise that one.

I also lied about where I was going when I was going to AA in the first month or so.

Now I don't lie. I say if I know a situation will be difficult. My best friends hen night is looming and I've told her that I may not last out the whole evening. I'm organising the 'boring peoples' afternoon event (her words) for family and friends who don't do heavy drinking or can't make the evening event. Yes, she wants me there, but I know that by 9.30pm she won't know whether I'm there or not. She said, what more important? My wedding or you staying sober. I laughed, then told her quite honestly where my priorities are.