Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bluedog97

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Very few, if any among us, haven't done things while drunk that they wish they could take back. Me included. I'm going to be honest, Bob. The occasional "tell us how bad it got for you" threads yield plenty of response, often with lots of detail. And for the life of me, I cannot see what purpose they serve. The threads take on a life of their own -- sort of a "well, if you think *that* was bad, let me tell you about me" confessionals. They almost seem competitive. Building "kinky" and "amoral" into an invitation to share strikes me as a little icky. As Scott said, sharing among ourselves what has helped us achieve sobriety and how that fits into our aspirations for positive futures frankly strikes me as much healthier.
I tend to agree. I know some alcoholics wear their past drinking escapades on their sleeve and want to be defined by them. I know one in particular, whatever you did, they can one up you. I'm not sure this is beneficial to recovery. Being the "worst" alcoholic in the room just serves to feed to ego and may cause a newcomer to think they are "not that bad". It's dangerous.

On the other hand, rehashing how we were can also serve as a reminder of what we don't want to go back to. Then it can be beneficial. I also think that was Mountain Bob's intention with the OP.