Thread: Battling demons
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bluedog97

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
YES its normal. i drank to (try and) forget some pretty horrible things done to me and things i did to others. which it never worked. then i got sober and for the first time in my life, my life-EVERYTHING from my past was there front and center. complete and total terror, bewilderment, disgust, and dispair in me. but i wasnt stuffing it anymore, i wanted to know why it all effected me so much, and how to change me- how to fix what i could, accept what i couldnt, and actually like myself. thats where the program of aa came it. it helped me learn how i used to be who i used to be, how to fix what i could, and how to love myself. im glad to read ya seeking counseling and in aa. imo, a sponsor is very helpful in helping us learn and understand the program,how to work the steps, and how to apply it in our lives. so, can ya explain what ya mean when ya say ya got stuck without a sponsor? oh, one other thing: when i was very fresh to recovery and beating myself up pretty good, a man told me," quit kikin yourself in the arse. youre not a bad man, just a sick man."
tomsteve, I was working the steps with a sponsor and got to the 5th and had sort of a fallout. Not a fight, but I didn't show up and then he dropped me. Anyway, I know eventually I need to do it to move forward. Maybe I'm procrastinating and coming up with every reason I can think of to avoid this. Anyway, thanks for the post.