View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SugarPlumBunny

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I definitely relate. It's a hard switch. I like people who drink. I like parties. I like dancing and festivals and staying out too late. And happy hours and etc etc etc. And I like the people who like those things. I also like yoga, and hiking, and meditation, and lectures, so it's not like that was my whole world. But it was certainly a big part of it.

For me the only way that this has become not a constant struggle is getting to the point where I can go out to all of the same events that I used to go to and have fun sober. I mean yes, sometimes people get sloppy and then I get bored and leave. But I no longer have to leave anywhere just because there's alcohol. If it weren't for this, I think I'd go nuts. At least for me, I've found that once I get through the initial temptation, all of those events are just as fun as when I was drinking... actually more so, because I'm just enjoying myself and not obsessing over booze. Plus I remember them the next day, which was not really a given for a while.

If you can, I really recommend trying to keep a "normal" social life, but I don't know how to advise that you get there. I went out after my first sobriety, relapsed hard, lost everything, and basically nearly died, so now I'm pretty clear on what happens with me and alcohol. I really don't recommend that route!
Fantail, thanks soo much for your reply! Your post really hits home so much. It makes me very happy how you can relate to what I've posted, and the thing I admire about you is that you *can* Go to these events without feeling deprived. Me? I avoid them like the plague which I want to stop doing. I mean, realistically, I know that I *can* too, but my mid keeps saying how it's so unfair that others are drinking and I'm not. I want to stop thinking this way.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been sober? I'm always in awe of people who can attend events or do things when alcohol is involved. They're always in awe of my mostly 6 years of sobriety, but really, I've only postponed my fun for the most part bc of my fear of being environments with alcohol. I really hope to be like you in that regard someday very soon. I'm working on it!! Thank you again!!!