View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SugarPlumBunny

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi sugarplumbunny

I knew that unless I changed my life - far more than just not drinking - there would always be this hole there that would probably like as not drag me back in one day.

I've worked hard to change - I've learned how to have fun without booze and how to be, if not entirely at ease, ok with social situations sober...I've learned how to deal with emotions, disappointments, fear anger stress or boredom without drinking.

I've learned to love the non drinking me and even be proud of that.

I love my sober life and I like who I am. Drinking again means all that is at risk. It's not an acceptable risk.

how many of the things you used to drink over do you think you've learned to deal with in other ways?

D
Hi Dee74, thanks for your response! You are so right, drinking again is SO risky, and though my life mat not be as exciting, I'm not in jail nor am I at the brink of death any longer. And I am very grateful that I don't have to be so full of self hatred and anger because of stupid, drunken idiotic behavior.

A lot of things that I do sober now is so much more rewarding, like I could actually remember fun conversations and I could take a relaxing, peaceful drive without feeling like I'm gonna kill someone or myself bc I'm so drunk.

I think it's a matter of continuing to push through my social anxiety without allowing it to restrict my social life. I still haven't re-entered a real bar but I do go to Karaoke without drinking which is tough but I still do it. And I still had fun. I love my sober life more than being an unhappy drink and I have to stop romanticizing so much. Thanks again!