Thread: I'm Homesick
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
redatlanta

I just read through your threads Jag. You came here in 2010 at that time it had been 7 years of this. 6 years passes in a second doesn't it? From what I can gather you had 6 months at the start of the relationship that was good, followed by 12 years of verbal, sexual, and physical abuse n top of alcoholism. Your ABF spends his time drinking, smoking pot, and playing xbox every moment that he is home. You mentioned 6 years ago that there was little to no intimacy in the relationship.

Along the way you have also mentioned about the person that you have become. I encourage you to focus on that aspect rather than mull over the hateful and atrocious actions of your ABF. Sobriety will not change him that much. Things may be easier for a bit when he doesn't drink, but it never sticks and the abuse is a separate issue to the alcoholism. Who were you 12 years ago? And, who are you now? What did you have 12 years ago? And, what do you have now?

Abusive relationships change the person who is being abused. Someone who was outgoing and friendly can become isolated without friends, a job, or any real contact with other people other than their abuser. For this reason, the relationships are very, very hard to leave. It is not uncommon for an abuser to encourage their victim to quit jobs (or insist on it), quit any outside interests, and to ditch friends and family. This kind of situation can be mind warping to the victim. They can perceive the abuser as their only asset even if they don't like the person, or recognize they are abusive.

I encourage you to contact a DV hotline and discuss your situation with a counselor. This is a confidential call. As you are not working and are dependent on ABF I think you would get some GREAT guidance and hope about what to do in your situation.

I'd hate to see you come back in 6 more years with the same issues (and you will if you stay with him). Life is just too short. This time around please stay on the Board here at SR and post about the things you are dealing with. We are here to support you! There are many other members that have dealt with these same issues including missing a horrible situation. Their experience can be of great value to you!