View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Not physical pain. But I was def overwhelmed by emotional pain and shame that I hadn't been feeling for years, so I can well imagine what you're going through.

Please get to the doctor so they can check your foot again. That pain could be your body trying to tell you something isn't healing right. One of my AA friends at about 18 months sober got massive back pains. Because he was sober he went to the doctors and discovered that he needed an urgent operation, and went and had it. He said he knows that if he was still drinking he'd have just self medicated through it, been to scared to visit a doctor in case they picked up on his drinking, and he would have ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. You can imagine how grateful he is now for his sobriety and the fact that he WAS overwhelmed by that pain, so he could address the problem. (And I'm equally grateful now that I was able to be overwhelmed by the emotional pain so that I would sort the underlying issues from that out, although it was fairly horrific for a while).

Pain isn't always bad. It's certainly not pleasant, but it is often the one thing that can spur us into action.