View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Hope this is helpful for you; it's been helpful for me:

Feel grateful for every single person from your "drinking life" who ever disappointed you.

Be grateful for every single door to a drinking room that closed in your face so you could see and realize other open doors to a much better life of sobriety.

Be grateful for a MEMORY that won't let you forget how yucky you could feel in active addiction.

Be grateful for all those "reality checks" that may not have felt good at the time...

Even be grateful for feelings of regret you may have over things you have done (that you regret). I used to try and escape feelings of regret. But, I realized I was trying to escape in destructive ways. I needed to own the regret, see it for what it was, learn from it and NOT REPEAT the same things that brought me regret in the first place. Dealing with REGRET has been one of the hardest things for me and it can still be a work in progress sometimes...because the reality is I cannot go back and change the things I've already done no matter how hard I try and how much I would like to. The only way I have found to forgive myself for my own regret is to learn the lesson(s) from it and be able to move on with valuable lessons learned.

Yes, some things are hard to feel hard to forget hard to deal with. But we can turn them into gold.