Old 04-11-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
IrishLass72

Smile Thanks for posting this, but I think I have a couple of corrections....

Since SR is a global website, I think it would be interesting to start a thread based upon the regional slang words or phrases that are common in your area. American English has several highly developed and distinct regional varieties. Include the different regional slang words or phrases of our fellow English speaking members could be both very interesting and helpful.

I lived my first 18 years of my life in Iowa, my AH is from Pittsburgh, PA, 7 years around Baltimore, MD, and now I have lived the past 20 years in Texas. So I will post some of the variations that I have come across......

I grew up in Central Iowa until I was 13. There were two words that you listed that I learned slightly differently.

CHUCK (not Chunk) is to throw something or throw something in the trash

Feisty/Ornry/Arnry/Ornery all mean sassy, with an attitude, or the person is enjoying being obstinate or contrary. This is not playing devil's advocate, this person is just trying to play with you.

Frisky means playful and flirty, if you get what I mean

I did not grow up saying "worsh" or "warsh," but ironically, I had a 7th grade English teacher who used them.

Thanks again for the post, and thanks for reading a response from a Newbie.