Thread: Taxes
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
It really does help to have that buffer of a lawyer in the mix, too.
Yes. He took it seriously bc that email was from her. For sure. Well worth the small cost to me to have her do that.

What I did, when my last ex sent a letter whining about how much money he got out of the sale of property we owned and demanding more, was to write a letter spelling out what he had agreed to, pointing out that once the capital gains taxes were paid (by me) he actually owed ME money, which I would forgo unless he made an issue out of how much he got. I emailed it to my lawyer, who put it on her letterhead and sent it. Never heard a peep after that, and I think my legal fees were like $50 for the time spent reading my email and putting it on letterhead/mailing it.
That's brilliant! It's similar to what I did. I laid out to my lawyer what I wanted to have happen and what my end of patience limits were and basically wrote the email that she sent him.

Good job--and this will get easier, with practice.
I hope so! This week was hellish anxiety wise...

ETA, the money he would have owed me was like a thousand bucks or so, but this was a $300k-plus property sale and I had no problem absorbing the extra taxes for the sake of being free of his whining. But I wasn't about to give him a penny more
Exactly! The principle of fairness and what's right and the audacity they have to whine no matter what they get is BS.

If xAH had proposed months ago to pay only a portion back of the arrears, I likely would have said fine.

His arrogance, his entitlement and his BS has blown up in his face. Again. Now he will owe every cent.