View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
talldude

The ol' liquid courage cliché applied to me quite well. When I was good & drunk, I could approach anybody and talk to him/her about anything...or so I thought. Tied into the courage thing was the arrogance thing as well.

My arrogance was grossly magnified so that I could not often see what a buffoon I was making out of myself. Of course, when I was talking to other buffoons who were just as wasted as I was, it just did not matter how illogical or how ridiculous we were being because we were following our hearts, we were speaking honestly from the heart, we weren't mincing words, and we weren't fakes who were scared to "just be themselves."

My bulletproof vest protecting me against death was quite strong, for I did not think about death or anything "depressing" when I was having a good time, chillin' with my fellow drunks. My philosophy when drinking was quite simple, and quite amoral too, I might add: Live for the moment no matter what the consequences may be. Injuring or killing somebody while driving drunk didn't matter to me. Injuring or killing myself while driving drunk didn't matter to me. Offending people and not respecting their feelings did not matter to me. Not respecting myself was so very easy to do and such a good thing to do because nobody could hate me more than I hated myself.

It's really pathetic how I wasted many years of my life to indulge in something that made me think I was stronger than I was, funnier than I was, sexier than I was, and so on & so forth. All I can do is try to live a better, sober life and let my actions speak for me.