Thread: 2nd DUI.....
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
justinnn

Just thought I'd give an update since I said I would.

Man reading back my posts I was so scared lol.

I'm doing alright so far though. I did continue to struggle with drinking for the next month or so since my last post. I was trying and doing OK at first, but as I got closer to my court date I kept talking myself into it like oh who cares they're going to send me to jail and put me on probation so I can't drink anyway after I get sentenced. I guess it was sort of like "might as well drink while I can" kind of thing. Plus my lawyer told me I had a very tough judge and pretty much made it sound like even if I did show up to court sober and having all these AA meetings under my belt it wouldn't have mattered, I don't know. They offered us a deal and he was kind of forcing me to just take it, saying I wouldn't get a better one. Who knows. Not a very good excuse. I should've stopped the day I got arrested, but oh well. It happened and it's over with now.

I got sentenced middle of last month. 20 days jail, 12 months probation, AA meetings, and the usual DUI school, fines, no drinking while on probation with random screenings, license suspended etc.

I have already served the jail time. They took me right from the courthouse to jail. It was tough, but I made it. Really puts life into perspective when you're in there. So many things in life you take for granted on the outside. The simple privacy to use the bathroom or shower, simply walking outside to breath fresh air, having clean clothes(they only changed uniforms twice a week and only washed your personal clothing like undershirts, boxers etc once a week and only if they were white.. my boxers were black so they couldn't wash them, I had to wash them in the sink with hand soap.....), etc. I think the biggest challenge was just not knowing what was going on in the outside. It's a strange feeling. They gave us TV but only certain periods of the day and it's on mute so you can't hear it anyway, you have to be able to read the captions. For instance I didn't know about the terrorist attacks in Brussels until a couple days later when I called my mom. I heard some inmates talking about some attack or something, but no one really knew exactly what happened.

Anyway, I'm out and ready for a fresh start. I'm sober now a little over 3 weeks thanks mostly to jail, but still. I have no desire to drink. Probably the best thing for me was to go to jail and experience that because I know if I slip up once whether it be failing an alcohol test or something and violating my probation, I'm going to be right back in there and be sitting in there for months. Not worth it. Drinking isn't worth it. Look at me. Drinking has gotten me nowhere in life. It has only made it worse. I'm 26 years old and already have 2 DUI's on my record.

I also was able to keep my job. My boss was surprisingly very understanding about the whole thing and basically just said I'll see you when you get back.. thank goodness. I still need to find another apartment that's closer to work and has better bus routes to get around though. We'll see.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing good.