Thread: OT-Wakeup call
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Lexie, you remind me of me, as in turning 60 this year, a bit overweight, not a natural exerciser. I have a standing desk and use it for half the day, and now that the weather's cooling down here I'm walking part of my commute home. Weekends I join my daughter for some stair climbing and I'm starting an exercise class on Tuesday.

Eating is my main challenge - not necessarily bad stuff, but not enough fruit and veg. If I buy it i find myself throwing a lot of it out after a couple of weeks in the fridge.

I'm glad you had a health check-up. My doctor makes sure I have blood tests every 2 years, and I get my BP done when I donate blood (it's not paid for in Oz). At least if I become pre-diabetic I'll detect it before it gets too bad. Another suggestion is a regular mammogram, which is a free screening service. I know there are conflicting opinions on screening mamms but my sister had a tutor detected very early and was able to get away with simple treatment and a lumpectomy.

Also pap smears every 2 years even though i have the risk profile of a nun.

Imagine how we'd be if we'd kept on drinking all these years. At least we don't have to worry about that.