Thread: OT-Wakeup call
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

OT-Wakeup call

So I've been trying to get back on track with my health (seriously neglected in most respects since I got sober). Don't get me wrong--quitting drinking was probably the MOST important thing I've ever done for my health. But I hadn't been to my GP since I was four months sober (seven and a half years ago), never had any of the tests done that she recommended, so I'm getting all of those done.

So far: Bone scan shows osteopenia (some bone loss), elevated risk of osteoporosis. Blood tests show mostly normal, but vitamin D deficiency (now taking D and calcium supplements) and elevated fasting blood sugar (just over the new limit of 100 but at elevated risk for diabetes because of gestational diabetes). Blood pressure a bit high (diastolic). Dermatologist checked moles and took a biopsy of something I thought was an acne scar--awaiting results). Colonoscopy normal, 10 years before I need another. Pap smear/mammograms normal. I'm scheduled for a lung cancer screening CT (I fit the criteria due to my many years of smoking).

Anyway, I'm thankful that so far nothing drastic is wrong, but I need to lose weight and start exercising. I've lost almost 8 pounds in the past few weeks and I just started a serious weight-loss program. My goal is to lose another 30 pounds, but losing 20 will get me to about the weight when I got sober. Years ago I lost 60 pounds over the course of a year and mostly kept it off up until I got sober. I've had terrible eating habits, but I've been eating right for the last couple of weeks and feeling pretty good.

I also downloaded an app to track my weight/food/exercise and just bought a fitbit. Right now the exercise will be the biggest challenge. I have SUCH a sedentary job, and serious lazy streak. Now that it's warming up a bit I'm going to try to start walking, and see if that gets me to the point where I'm ready to take on some more challenging stuff. I also want to get back into yoga.

There's this lady who must be in her 80s in my home group, and she's very heavy, walks with a cane, diabetic, hugely swollen legs/feet, and I don't want to wind up that way. She's been sober for 37 years, but the other health issues are seriously interfering with her quality of life.

If I can get the weight down and get more active, I can probably get my blood sugar and BP down to normal, as well as holding off the bone loss. I bought a blood glucose meter (most days I just check the fasting level because it seems fine before/after meals) and a home BP monitor so I can keep an eye on that.

So this is the year of uneffing my body, lol.