Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I was also thinking, it's interesting to start over my sober journey on the week before Easter. I am not a religious person but I do easily appreciate any culture and belief when they are helpful and constructive to people. I definitely have a feeling and intention to take my sober life to another level But I'll try not to forget that it can only work if I stay mindful of today and every present moment. This is something I have not been doing too well so far. Seeing the big picture and thinking "big" is something that comes naturally for me, but sometimes I forget that anything larger, while I believe it's usually more than just the sum of its elements (I've always liked that sort of gestalt view), still starts with the moments that build it up. Similarly destruction, picking up a drink, happens in a particular moment even though I am a firm believer of the view that relapses typically start before the picking up moment/day, often long before. Self awareness can help with the latter but also, how we actually react to something in particular moments is key to successful recovery.

Looking back on my two years of sobriety now, I see so many holes in it and also all that stuff we discussed on my other thread before this one, that I could not let go of my cravings for "out of ordinary" things and a similar self image. I think it's about time and don't think it requires giving up creativity and ambition, quite the opposite, I think it would be a much needed and constructive process of integration into a genuine form of reality. I know that my form of individualism is often very attractive to others, but I also tend to overdo it and become self absorbed in it. And that usually happens when I lose connection with the momentum, then I lose connection with the larger picture and environment I otherwise want to be part of, and then sh*t happens. I mean, my escapes and wishes to alter my reality. Time to be more mindful of this now!