Old 03-06-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
SansaS

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
I'm on an acre, but I'm not sure if our acre is the same as yours? Crazy US measurements… Mine is only about half landscaped, the rest wild. Little by little I will get there, but I don't want to be too overwhelmed. What used to be my 'great escape' [gardening] has turned into something of a chore. I need to re-wire my thinking into looking at it more positively, as I have in the past. Another problem is the neighbors here… they make being outside a much less favorable experience than at my old place. They make a sh*t ton of noise, daily. This used to be a rural area, but it no longer is -- they're not very up to speed. Putting up a massive fence recently has helped, YES! Anyhoo, rather than get all angry and drink [while gardening - not super safe], I just decide to go do something else when they act up. It still sucks, though! Do you grow many Aussie native plants? Another Australian botanist that I know here in CA asks me "WHY do you grow those weeds?" LOL. Your native birds thrive on them, so why grow anything else over there? I wanted to study botany at Uni, but my dad didn't think I'd ever find a decent job.
Gardengal! I never got a chance to respond to you X
Sorry to hear about your nasty neighbors. That would really upset me. I love that my home is my sanctuary. We have a lot of natives here but I tend to go for the more cottage garden style exotics. My husband loves natives. We have lots of mountain ash trees and grevillea.
There was also heaps of hydrangeas, rhododendrons and ferns already established when we bought it.
I'm really just learning but enjoying it a lot. I tend to always be drawn towards magnolias. I think they are stunning!