View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Liveitwell

WTBH-I wanted to share a story with you. A couple of years ago my husband and I were hanging out with his cousin and wife and their neighbors on a weekend evening. Drinking - lots of drinking. (Recall this is the cousin that has two DUIs and still loves getting drunk-but is not an alcoholic according to my ex). I was close to them-I loved them. The neighbor had been talking about how when he got divirced from his first wife al he did was get drunk every day. Right after that I watched him let his less than two year old take his beer can off the table and drink it. I figured he would grab it and tell him no. Nope-not this crowd. The dad let him do it multiple times and laughed about it. Joked that his wife would be pissed. Little boy in diapers wondering around with a beer to his lips. Dad joked that he was a little alcoholic. Yep. I was appalled. I prayed bout it and sent the mother a text the next day telling her I was concerned and that was something that was so inappropriate that CPS could be called. Needless to say that text ended multiple friendships and I was told and chastised by my exs cousins wife, that I was close to, that she no longer wanted to hang out with me bc she worried that I would judge her too. She was more concerned with the discord it would create with her neighbors than the obvious issue at hand. But that is my ex husbands family. Sigh. I was trying to do the right thing for the kid-bc dad was oblivious. Alcoholics creating another generation of alcoholics and endangering their kids-and the wives that enable it. And trust me, I used to be one!! I was in that sick denial land when I was drinking, too. It's sad...very sad.