View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I think recognising it for what it is means you're already doing well. I can get myself in a really negative place, and when I ask myself honestly "BB, do you really WANT to feel better" often the answer is actually, "NO. I bloody don't." As soon as I recognise what I'm doing, I can usually laugh at myself. Then I'm ready to say a resentment prayer (if that's what caused it) or do a gratitude list (if it's self-pity), or apologise if I need to do so, or distract myself from dwelling on me by finding some way to help someone else. The hard part is that first part - admitting to myself that's what is going on. A little mindful meditation to get back into the right now is often useful as well. My fave one at the moment is to breath in slowly mentally imagining, a single line, turning into two lines joined, then a triangle, then a square, then pentagon, then as I breath out, the pentagon going to a square, then a triangle, then 2 joined lines then a single line. I have to really concentrate on that mental image so I can't sustain it for long and have to keep gently pulling my mind back to it when it wanders back to whatever problem it wants to velcro itself to. It does help though (me anyway).

Hope you get out of that funk soon