Old 02-28-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
OldTomato

I turned up to my meeting this morning feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't see getting through the rest of the day sober as an option. Someone in the meeting turned up drunk - he thought he was on top of the world but really everyone was irritated by him. He kept interrupting peoples' shares, including someone who had relapsed but turned back up to a meeting anyway, which is really harmful in this persons' recovery! It made me remember that my drinking causes harm to others as well as myself. I can't take that one drink because I know I won't stop, the one drink will turn into one bottle, then one trip to the supermarket for a lot more bottles. I need to stop thinking too far ahead, so I'm focusing on staying sober for the rest of the day.

Coco - Hope that sleep made you feel better about everything. My mum tried to kick me out when I was getting sober because she got frustrated at my withdrawal! She didn't like things being about something other than her. There's no use being angry over it, you have to focus on yourself and your health right now. You did the right thing and took care of yourself by changing your email address and phone number!

CuteNGay - That's your first week of sobriety down! Well done!!

Flaco - Well done for getting through Day 2. The first few days are the hardest, keep focusing on what you want from your sobriety. I find it helpful to set goals (still small goals at the moment) so it feels like I'm getting my life back together. I have a tendency to look for a quick fix so I found it helpful to make a few visible changes.

Karen - Think about how brilliant it'll feel to be able to say one week sober! Just focus on making it through the day. I once walked in the pouring rain to get to a meeting, turned up absolutely drenched, and it had been called off so I had to walk back home! I was not happy. It put me off going to meetings for a while and then I started drinking again. Don't let it put you off!