View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
amazingjoy

Marylynn123456, I feel like I'm reading a similar story from my life 20 years ago. I had thyroid cancer at age 25 and it too spread to the lymph nodes. I had a 7 1/2 surgery but in my case it's the right side of my neck...and my super long scar as well (it used to look like a train track on my neck!). I had to have a 2nd surgery too. The pain is excruciating. We use our necks for EVEYTHING...every little movement.

And beyond the pain, the hormonal problems for the next many months are going to be very challenging as they try to get the replacement hormone levels (synthroid) right. It took them 2 years to get mine right which was way too long.

I also had to have a lot of radioactive iodine surgery as well since my upper chest still "lit up" in the scans and had to spend all of that time in a hypothyroid state which is just awful.

May I ask, what part of the world/country are you in? I'm in the US, Chicago area.

I ask because the standards of care with this can vary widely.

I was on heavy pain meds in the hospital after the surgery and then still for 6-8 weeks afterwards. It is a very serious surgery.

I suggest before you try to manage this all on your own and possibly run into legal issues or worse yet, some unknown complications because your doctors are not aware of how you are trying to help yourself with this, that you get another doctor's opinion.

I am a big believer in 2nd opinions and it can never hurt and you have that right (depending on insurance, etc. of course). Be completely honest about everything and if you feel you are not be heard, get another doctor's opinion!

Please let me know or PM me if there is anything I can help you with! This is really really hard to go through and I would love to try to help you in any way I can!