View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
gleefan

BoozeFree - I hear the stress and desperation in your situation.

Throughout recovery, the times I've been "stuck" in difficult situations that I can't change have been the most frustrating. For me, frustration was always a siren call to booze. Finding ways to soothe myself helped me deal with my frustration healthfully - and sober!

Once I stopped drinking, soothing my frustration and suffering with alcohol was no longer and option. I didn't have any other coping skills! I didn't know what to do!

I can only share what worked for me. Work was highly frustrating; not the work load, but the people! I turned to meditative hiking on a nature trail during my lunch break.

Home was frustrating because my husband was drinking heavily in the evenings. I turned to AA meetings, window shopping, magazines, and trips for coffee. I talked to other alcoholics. I posted on SR.

Weekends were frustrating because I spent most of them passing time at youth hockey games with other parents. I brought my kids to their games and cheered them on, but I skipped parties. I cleaned the house just enough. During my free time on the weekends I did things that I enjoyed, not things I "had" to do or "should" do or felt like burdens.

Take good care of yourself. Find things that you enjoy and do them. Even the smallest act of self care goes a long way in battling cravings.