View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
gleefan

BoozeFree - I'm among the folks who got sober while the people around me continued to drink. I didn't have a supportive environment at home, and my efforts to stop were not greeted warmly, so I made a support network for myself.

For me the crux of recovery was realizing that I didn't need to change the toxic, alcoholic people in my life in order to stay sober.

The only thing actually in my power, in fact, was and is creating a sober life for myself. I can do that anywhere, even in a house where people drink. For me as a sober person, it doesn't matter whether people in my house are drinking. It doesn't matter if things go wrong. I'm not going to drink. Sobriety is about what's going on inside me me, not what's happening around me.

I had to fight for it in the beginning. I had to rearrange my schedule to make time for AA meetings. I had to keep going to different meetings til I found good matches for me.

I also had to let go. I had to gently detach from toxic people. I didn't need to make hasty decisions and move out of my house that I shared with an alcoholic and create additional burdens on myself, though.

I had to open up. I had to share what was bothering me from time to time with the right people. I helped pick up after meetings to try to have conversations with others in recovery. I posted on SR in my class month and in the Undies. I reached out when I wanted to drink or when I was apprehensive about going into a new meeting or when I was sad about my living arrangements.

I had to be the change I wanted to see. I actively work on understanding my lifelong self defeating patterns and making small improvements.

None of this is beyond you, or other alcoholics struggling out there, BoozeFree.