Old 02-17-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
360startstoday

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
I usually read all the posts before posting, but I'll have to do it later.

Not sure anyone can relate to this. Every time I've quit, my husband kept drinking, yet I was able to stay sober (at one point in my marriage I had one year). This time he promised to moderate; he's very worried about me.

But he's an alcoholic. He means well, but he ended up increasing his intake since I got sober week by week until the last two days I had to deal with stumbling, blackouts, insane spending. He never gets mean like I did, thank God.

Once you take a drink, even if you're the best person in the world (and he comes close), all bets are off. You lose your judgment.

He is not open to recovery although he will go to couples counseling with me. He thinks he can "be better" and is so sorry and will try to moderate again. Sigh. I know where that goes.

I feel defeated. I don't want to leave him; he's so much more than an alcoholic. He's my best friend and love of my life. I get scared to post about this issue because in AA people said, "you have to leave him."
Just a quick note. Mine was the same way. It made choosing to stop very hard for me. BUT, I didn't give up on him, he didn't ever give up on me. I'm 100% dedicated this time around. God has my back this time. I'm not saying this will happen with you, but now he's seen a change in me and is only a couple days behind me on sobriety days. (I still think I am WAY worse than him anyway), but his change of heart and effort is really helping me too. I would say, don't give up on him just yet. Maybe he will see how awesome sobriety is and want to join in a new party.