View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
gleefan

Toots - Nice way of explaining alcoholism, that one drink will flip a switch to a life of misery. So true.

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
This really is it, for me -- accepting what I can't change, making sure that the focus is on my recovery, and trusting that as I better myself as a person, I will draw the people in my life who add to my happiness and not my angst.
Thumpa - That's happening for me! You know that cliche misery loves company? I'm not drawn in by misery like I used to be! When I keep doing the right thing, and the right things happen.

WWS - Thanks for the kind wishes. You are really cruising along, aren't you? I sense such a calmness to you!

Drake - It's a real treat to see you!! Drake was approaching his first year sober when I was newly sober. We undies shared so many ups and downs, and liberal doses of encouragement, all day and night due to our varying time zones. It helped me make it through some very hard times.

Babs - I'm glad you're doing well. One of my friends who's dying of alcoholism accidentally spilled his "water" bottle at a summer party. I don't know who he thought he was fooling; everyone could see that his drink was a different consistency than water. Needless to say, the contents were not water, and he took a spill down a hill in front of everyone. Sad, sad stuff.

Today I completed my first round of the 12 Steps. The steps are not something I intended to do when I stopped drinking. I never intended to go to AA; I went because I didn't know what else to do! During my first few months I was puzzled why folks kept talking about the steps. I didn't understand the hype, but I kept going to meetings because the development of a life outside of drinking had languished in active addiction and I didn't have anywhere else to go where booze wasn't front of mind.

At AA I liked some of what I heard, and related to some people, too. Plus some of the regular contributors to the Undies thread at that time were in the program. I found a meeting where I felt comfortable not far from my home. The chair person's remarks made me feel less alone, I was given a bunch of women's phone numbers, and was even invited to a sober ladies' pool party on my first visit.

I didn't go to the pool party, and I never picked up the phone to call anyone, but I kept going. Listening. I met my first sponsor there. I broke up with my first sponsor there. I took the coffee commitment. I went when life was going smoothly and when I had bumps in the road. I developed a deeper appreciation for the program and its principles. The miracles started rolling in though when I was guided through the steps by my current Sponsor.

You don't have to start right away. I was over a year sober before I started them. You don't have to do them fast. I started my first step last July. You should do them in order with someone you trust.

I feel unbelievably blessed to have had this experience, but like Saskia always says, recovery is an ongoing process. It's not a one and done procedure!

Of course there is more than one way to recover. This is just what I did so far to find a life filled with peace and serenity that's joyous, happy and free. I respect, honor, and appreciate all the different paths to health and freedom that we are all taking, and I learn something special from each and every one of you.