Old 02-15-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Thanks, SH....

Good advice and reminder.

I have been self-administering a series of supplements for a few months to help with my seasonal effective disorder (at least, that's what I feel like it is). I did speak to my doctor about them and he didn't see any issue with the regimen I was using - which I'll abstain from listing to avoid any suggestion of advice.

However, in follow up to that, my Dr. ordered bloodwork and I'll be going back to discuss the results with him and ensure there's not something different we need to be doing, or any concerns with those supplements.

Anecdotally, I have noticed a bit of a decline in the benefits I'd seen for the first month or two. It makes me feel that my body is becoming "tolerant" to the supplements and I'm concerned that it could be a diminishing return which just locks me into an expense and a new sort of "addiction" that isn't worth the benefit. I'd really like to get to a point that my diet and exercise provide what my body needs, unless there is a clear and diagnosed deficiency. That may mean I need to consider going with a prescription anti-depressant for at least part of the year.... because at least prescription drugs are researched and controlled and there are more 'known' aspects than in the uncontrolled, unregulated, largely unproven context of the supplements market.

Already, I feel a little addicted mentally to them and that concerns me.