View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Db1105

Welcome, I sobered up one month short of my 18th birthday. I was mainly a drunk but did my share of shooting up meth. I had no problem with the meth but the alcohol was my big nemasis.

The we're several times in recovery where the compulsion was almost overwhelming even though I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. Still I didn't pick up. I just increased meetings, service work, reading the Big Book and any piece of literature I could get my hands on. It still took a toll on my body. I developed shingles 5 years sober at the age of 23. Even after I finished college, married, and started real life, whatever it was that had me seek out a chemical escape was still lurking in me . A few years later I had Gullian-Barre syndrome . I still believe it was the result of some deep deter stress or what ever the thing that made me an addict. But, I still did not drink or pick up any chemical escape. I just kept up with my program.
Things eased up in my thirties, and much of that whatever in the hell it was passed. Now in my mid 50's and sober 38 years. Life has been real good the last two decades. Don't pick up, it will get better.