View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Update on my adventures.

I had a tooth go bad last week, and scheduled to have it pulled out late Friday afternoon. I knew that they would likely give me painkillers, and my AV got very excited about that ... very noisy about the prospect of taking pills. I ignored that, and said to myself if I am honest, and follow dr's orders, there's no reason my AV gets to take over. I told the dentist I wanted the minimum prescription, and he gave me just a few pills.

It took 90 minutes to get this dang molar out. I did have a lot of pain and took a small dose of Vicodin as prescribed for the first 24 hours. It helped with the pain, but actually I didn't like the feeling it gave me ... foggy in the head, kind of nauseated, and kind of "absent". I didn't have the euphoria I remembered from the past (of course in the past, I combined it with wine). I find I have become accustomed to being awake and present, and I really like that feeling better than being loaded.

This morning I woke up, still had some pain but it was much less, and I could manage it with Ibuprofen. The AV is still slightly interested in taking pills, but because I don't actually need the pain relief, I could see that voice is clearly just the AV. So the vicodin went down the toilet.

This is a big relief to me. I have felt pretty confident about my ability to distinguish the AV in regards to alcohol. But I didn't know how I would do with painkillers ... painkillers haven't been available to me in sobriety the way that alcohol is (because alcohol is everywhere), so I hadn't been "tested". It's good to know that AVRT works here too.

Last edited by tursiops999; 02-14-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: for clarity