Old 02-12-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
safeandsound

Originally Posted by Mia83 View Post
evening all, just checking in. Hope everyone is staying strong whatever stage you're at. Found this afternoon leaving work for a weeks holiday really hard. really wanted to buy wine but bought chocolate and then spent a little while feeling angry. Decided to keep really busy and did loads of washing and yet more tidying and by the time I sat down with my kids and watched a film I felt really pleased with myself and have had a really nice sober time with my family instead.
The few moments of anger and cravings weren't nice but it didn't kill me and I feel so much better for having the strength to choose not to drink. I'm looking forward to marking 2 weeks sober tomorrow and this past week, although has been quite emotional has also been amazing. I feel so much better mentally without the horrible dark thoughts and anxiety alcohol causes me. Anyway have a great weekend, and hope we can all be lucky enough to wake up excited to start the day rather than just trying to get through it with a hangover. Stay strong
Mia, I so relate to this--getting angry that I can't relieve my stress with a drink, but hanging on until the craving passes--or "urge surfing." I also like that you said "it didn't kill me." When I'm in it, it feels like it will! But if I wait 5 to 20 minutes, it passes. Anger is my biggest trigger, too, which I just discovered by doing these worksheets my counselor assigned.

Applekat and Patricia and anyone else struggling, it is so worth it. Remembering my last drink doesn't help me, but thinking about how good I feel in the morning now does. I used to feel like s*** every day.

Carlygirl--friends staying over until the wee hours or sleeping over to avoid drunk driving, playing music, talking loudly, dancing--that sounds exactly how my apartment was every time our friends came over. For now, until I get more stable, I refuse to invite anyone over, and my husband is respecting that (I sense his patience is running a little thin, though). I asked him to meet them out at bars if he wants to drink with them, and I will meet them at restaurants if anyone asks.

I'm angry at my husband because he is still drinking. It's hard to watch and not feel it isn't fair. But I dug my own grave / made my own bed, etc. I also worry a lot about his health given the amount he drinks

Stay strong, everyone!