View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Saskia

Congrats on 5 months, WWS!

For much of my first year sober I avoided situations where there was likely to be drinking. Sometimes I still do. I find that someof the time I can be with others who drink and I don't miss it. However, there are still occasions when it brings back thoughts that it would be nice to be able to drink normally, especially when I feel stressed. I think I've finally accepted that this may always be the case.

Since I now have plenty of opportunity to socialize without drinking, I avoid situations where drinking is the main focus - eg the weekly social hour, wine and cheese parties, wine/beer tasting parties, etc. I do have dinner with people having wine a couple of times a week and I hardly notice that any more.

I've been checking in to the 24-hour thread to remind myself that it's one day at a time. I am unwilling to leave room in my life for drinking.

(((BF))), I can empathize with your situation with your mother. I had an alcoholic pothead for a husband and struggled with quitting alcohol while he was in the house. Sending you strength! Good for you for looking to move out - it sounds like the healthiest thing for you.