View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Thumpalumpacus
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
I am almost 3 years in and still recently had a drinking dream. They do lose their power, in the early days I would be discombobulated for the whole day after one.
I should have been clear, the dream and mental discombobulation (I love that word, discombobulation -- just sounds so ridiculous!) was on Monday morning, but I'd had drinking dreams before. This particular one hit home because it outlined in a nutshell how I hurt the woman I love -- and this at a time when I doubt our ability to have any relationship beyond friendship, a breakup brought about by my drinking. So I walked around that morning and into the afternoon bearing refreshed guilt and angst.

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Thumpa - The Serenity Prayer sure helps me keep my compass pointed towards joyous happy and free. I'm working on my first cycle through the 12 steps right now. That prayer, and the principles of AA, are the only things that have freed me from my self defeating thoughts, moods, and actions.
I go to AA meetings, though I don't think the Steps are the perfect answer for me. The Serenity Prayer, on the other hand, embodies the principle of surrendering in order to win. Funny how that works, it's almost a form of emotional judo, rolling with the blow instead of absorbing it head-on.