Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
5upersonic

Hiya,

I'm on my 6th day and starting to feel better. Getting sober conicided with a head injury and a bout of flu, so it's been an interesting few days!

I will have a scar on my forehead, possibly quite large, but it will give me a constant reminder of the time I turned my life around.

The flu has also helped. Firstly, it's given me time off work to think about my recovery. People say I'm uptight, and I've discovered online hypnosis and relaxation sessions that I can listen to on headphones. I haven't let go and relaxed like that in years! They've also given me a vision of the future that is making me really excited. I can see myself with my family, on holiday and celebrating birthdays, but without the drunkeness, hangovers and irritability. My children and wife having the sober father they deserve, and showing everyone that the heavy drinker who is constantly getting into stupid situations is not really me, I'm better than that. I want to go to weddings and talk to people, get to know my wider family again like I did when I was younger, instead of heading to the nearest bar and drinking until I need help just getting to bed. Waking up early and enjoying the surroundings, instead of avoiding breakfast and then skulking out in the hope I won't have to face anyone.

I've stopped drinking coffee at the same time as the booze. It wasn't intentional, it's just happened. I was drinking a lot, it was like a daytime substitute for booze. Being ill has meant I've been eating healthy, no sugar at all. Maybe those cravings will come.

It was pancake day yesterday in the UK and my 5 year old son asked to make some when he got home from school. I gave him my usual negative response; too late, too tired, we already have dinner. And then something switched in me, and I could feel his disapointment. So I said okay and he must have stirred that batter for half an hour! They were great pancakes. When he woke up this morning he came straight out of his room and thanked me for the pancakes. I didn't know what to say.

Sorry to ramble, I got emotional writing this. I only came on to say it's day 6 and stay alcohol free everyone.