View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
gleefan

Hi Undies

Digging out of 3/4 of a foot of heavy, wet snow here! It's not a lot of snow, but it's a mess.

Yesterday my son had a hockey game 90 minutes away. Portions of the highways in my area were closed due to multiple accidents, but the Coach decided the game was on. I was pretty distressed about it, and found myself snapping at some of the folks at work who stretch my patience on any given day.

Part of my job is staying patient, and while it's frustrating to tell the same people the same feedback over and over, being snippy in the delivery of that feedback isn't a viable choice!! I thought it was SO COOL that when I felt frustrated, I could promptly admit to myself that something else was bothering me (the game wasn't cancelled due to weather), RESET, and make my subsequent interactions with those folks more pleasant.

I wrapped up some 8th and 9th step work this week and am embarking on my 10th step, so yesterday's a-ha moment was appropriately timed.

Everybody's steps are going to look different. Part of my work is learning how to have compassion for sick and suffering individuals -- who I feel, and that my sponsor as an objective 3rd party agrees, have hurt me. Having never really had healthy boundaries most of my life, that list is long. What I've noticed in doing this work is that because my boundaries are healthier, people who have come into my life in the last few years aren't on that list. I've developed a more discerning friend picker & enhanced ability to be a friend. Progress!

Well, I'm off to a hockey game, then digging deep into my exam materials for a day-long study session. I hope you all have a safe, sober and fun weekend - even those of you who have to work (WWS)!!!!