View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by ProudPenguin View Post
Had an awful day today . I don't know if I'm wrong thinking I'm an alcoholic, or am I right . I don't know if it's only cravings that makes my think this way or some sort of thing that everyone goes through? Or maybe I'm not ready ? I truly don't know what's going on in my head , I feel like I'm being convinced I'm not an alcoholic. What to do ?
It's common to feel ambivalent about it. Your AV (addictive voice) is of course going to try and convince you it's not as bad as you might think. It wants to drink.

It helps me to remember all the bad times -- all the god awful things that happened. And also, the things I didn't do because drinking prevented me from doing it. You can remember your hangovers, any accidents, the things you've done and said to others, or things left undone. The guilt, shame, anxiety, depression. Whatever it is alcohol has brought to your life, remember it when you think you're ok to have another drink. See it in great detail if you can. Visualizing those things in my mind disgusted me enough to never want to drink again.

Another thing -- you aren't required to label yourself. Whether you call yourself an "alcoholic" or not is entirely up to you (as Anna mentioned), but examining your life and coming out of denial about how bad things are is absolutely necessary in order to arrive at the decision of whether to drink again or not.

One thing all of us who've managed to stay stopped have in common seems to be acceptance that it is unwise for us to ever drink again. Some say they "can't" drink; others say they choose not to drink. Doesn't matter, but arriving at a definite answer and committing to it is key.