View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
gleefan

Carlos - Your post really struck a chord with me.

Moderation is a real struggle for me, be it with sugar, exercise - or a Netflix series with sugar and exercise (I couldn't resist ). I struggle with exercise that isn't so intense that I feel buzzed afterwards. I've plowed through more than a few jars of frosting over the last couple years. Carlos has seen me eat my weight in Greek food in NYC & Italian in DC. I am at the top of my personal scale, and I've wanted to drop the bad habits, but I've been stuck.

Emotional sobriety doesn't come overnight. My life is busy, and my path to sobriety has had its fair share of interference. My husband drinks, and for the first year plus of my sobriety, he drank alcoholically and often, as I once had. Some days the best I could do living in that environment was just not drink. However, as Carlos mentioned, following an active recovery program offers a clearer outlook on emotional sobriety.

Earlier in the week, the Universe pointed me to call a sober friend of mine. As I was relaying an emotionally un-sober incident I'd had, my friend suggested that there's often something underlying that type of behavior. I didn't poke or prod my psyche too much over it; I just kind of let the suggestion sink in, and prayed for openness.

Friday was the first time I was aware of what was going on with me emotionally while I ate all that candy, and actually thought of some tools I've learned in my recovery program that I could use to soothe myself instead of sugar.

For me, finding something that I enjoy more than booze - or an exercise buzz, or a sugar high, etc. - is nothing short of a MIRACLE. Recovery for me is not based on deprivation of booze, sugar or other quick fixes, but on replacing those fake highs with substance and character.

I am grateful to be sober, and to have this ever developing tool chest to guide me through my challenges!

Undies - Thanks for all your insight into this topic. Have a safe & sober night!