View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
gleefan

KIR - The program you're getting involved in sounds amazing. I actually changed my career entirely when I got sober and started doing work I had no previous training or background in. I found a lot of satisfaction immersing myself in something new, and in connecting with other people doing the same. I also found that with my new recovery principles I was a better learner, employee, coworker, and friend than I'd ever been before.

Saskia - I like your definition of vigilance as relaxed but aware! I carve out time for recovery in my busy schedule because it makes me more relaxed and more aware.

Last night at the end of a busy week, I headed to a meeting. I wanted to see my sponsor and relax with the familiar crew, but when I got there I just couldn't relax.

Old me would have thought "See! This is pointless! This isn't helping you. You should be home relaxing! Why are you here? Some of these people are weird!!"

Today I'm more "aware". It's not that the meeting wasn't good; I was just stressed and distracted. There were tons of people there, many of whom some shared some really deep, interesting gratitude for recovery, and when I got home I felt more focused and relaxed. I'm humbled by this power of this program.

I hope everyone has a nice and sober weekend!!